Французька партія президентської більшості «Вперед, Республіко!» не надасть акредитації співробітникам російських державних засобів інформації RT і Sputnik для висвітлення виборів до Європарламенту. Таку заяву зробив 15 лютого директор партійної виборчої кампанії Стефан Сежурне, повідомило Міжнародне французьке радіо.

«Це не органи преси, а органи пропаганди на службі Кремля», – заявив Стефан Сежурне в інтерв’ю газеті Le Monde.

Французьке видання Sputnik прокоментувало це повідомлення в тексті під заголовком «Партія Емманюеля Макрона знову нападає на Sputnik напередодні європейських виборів».

Протягом року журналісти Sputnik і RT у Франції не отримують акредитацій, щоб висвітлювати події, організовані Єлисейським палацом або французькими міністерствами, заявила головний редактор Sputnik France Наталія Новікова.

У травні 2017 року французький президент Емманюель Макрон під час першої зустрічі з російським президентом Володимиром Путіним публічно назвав RT і Sputnik «органами брехливої пропаганди». Заява була зроблена на спільній прес-конференції, російський президент на це не відповів.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!

Spain will elect its third government in less than four years after Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez’s fragile socialist government acknowledged Friday its support had evaporated and called an early general election.

Sanchez’s eight-month-old administration met its end after failing to get parliament’s approval for its 2019 budget proposal earlier this week, adding to the political uncertainty that has dogged Spain in recent years.

“Between doing nothing and continuing without a budget, or giving the chance for Spaniards to speak, Spain should continue looking ahead,” Sanchez said in a televised appearance from the Moncloa Palace, the seat of government, after an urgent Cabinet meeting.

The ballot will take place on April 28. It is expected to highlight the increasingly fragmented political landscape that has denied the European Union country a stable government in recent elections.

The 46-year-old prime minister ousted his conservative predecessor Mariano Rajoy last June, when he won a no-confidence vote triggered by a damaging corruption conviction affecting Rajoy’s Popular Party.

But the simple majority of Socialists, anti-austerity parties and regional nationalists that united against Rajoy crumbled in the past week after Sanchez broke off talks with the Catalan separatists over their demands for the independence of their prosperous northeastern region.

Sanchez saw the Catalan separatists join opposition lawmakers to vote down his spending plans, including social problems he had hoped would boost his party’s popularity.

Sanchez had the shortest term in power for any prime minister since Spain transitioned to democracy four decades ago.

Without mentioning Catalonia directly, Sanchez said he remained committed to dialogue with the country’s regions as long as their demands fell “within the constitution and the law,” which don’t allow a region to secede. He blamed the conservatives for not supporting his Catalan negotiations.

Popular Party leader Pablo Casado celebrated what he called the “defeat” of the Socialists, attacking Sanchez for yielding to some of the Catalan separatists’ demands.

“We will be deciding [in this election] if Spain wants to remain as a hostage of the parties that want to destroy it,” or welcome the leadership of the conservatives, Casado said.

Catalonia’s regional government spokeswoman, Elsa Artadi, retorted that “Spain will be ungovernable as long as it doesn’t confront the Catalan problem.”

Opinion polls indicate the April vote isn’t likely to produce a clear winner, a shift from the traditional bipartisan results that dominated Spanish politics for decades.

Although Sanchez’s Socialists appear to be ahead, their two main opponents — the Popular Party and the center-right Ciudadanos (Citizens) — could repeat their recent coalition in the southern Andalusia region, where they unseated the Socialists with the help of the far-right Vox party.

Vox last year scored the far-right’s first significant gain in post-dictatorship Spain, and surveys predict it could grab seats in the national parliament for the first time.

Vox’s leader, Santiago Abascal, vowed to use the election to “reconquer” the future, a term that refers back to how Spanish Catholic kings defeated Muslim rulers in 15th-century Spain.

Meanwhile, the Socialists are unlikely to be able to form a new government even if they come to a coalition deal with the anti-establishment Podemos [We Can] party, so a third partner will likely be needed.

Sanchez’s options are limited. On the right, a deal with the Citizens party seemed off the table, as its leader Albert Rivera has vetoed any possible agreement with a Socialist party led by Sanchez himself.

And the prospect of Catalan nationalists joining any ensuing coalition is remote, both in the light of the recent failed talks and the ongoing trial of a dozen Catalan politicians and activists for their roles in an independence bid two years ago.

“The Socialists don’t want an election marked by Catalonia because the issue creates internal division, but right-wing parties will use it as a weapon,” said Antonio Barroso of the Teneo consulting firm.

He said polls have erred in recent elections and that clever campaigning could swing the vote significantly.

“The only certainty … is that fragmentation is Spain’s new political reality,” he said.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!

Генеральний прокурор штату Нью-Йорк Летіша Джеймс заявила 15 лютого, що оскаржуватиме в суді використання надзвичайних повноважень президента США для побудови стіни на кордоні з Мексикою, на чому наполягає Дональд Трамп.

«Оголошення загальнонаціонального надзвичайного стану без легітимної причини може створити конституційну кризу. Ми не підтримуватимемо це зловживання владою і боротимемося з цим усіма правовими інструментами, які є в нашому розпорядженні», – наголосила прокурор Джеймс.

Намір Трампа оголосити надзвичайний стан розкритикували конгресмени, демократи і частина республіканців. На думку опонентів, таке рішення в разі його реалізації може встановити поганий прецедент, коли політичні цілі досягатимуться в обхід Конгресу.

Спікер Палати представників Ненсі Пелосі та лідер демократичної меншості в Сенаті Чак Шумер відзначили в спільній заяві, що «оголошення загальнонаціонального надзвичайного стану буде беззаконним актом, брутальним зловживанням владою президента і відчайдушною спробою відвернути увагу від того факту, що президент Трамп порушив свою основну обіцянку: змусити Мексику заплатити за його стіну».

15 лютого під час офіційного заходу в Білому домі президент США Дональд Трамп підтвердив попереднє повідомлення своєї адміністрації щодо уникнення нового «шатдауну» та оголошення надзвичайного стану. Білий дім оголосив, що президент Трамп підпише законопроект про фінансування федерального уряду, ухвалений Сенатом і Палатою представників 14 лютого і покликаний забезпечити роботу уряду. Водночас, ішлося в повідомленні, Трамп відразу оголосить надзвичайний стан у країні для отримання коштів на будівництво стіни на кордоні з Мексикою, через суперечку довкола фінансування якої стався попередній «шатдаун».

25 січня Трамп оголосив про відновлення роботи урядових установ після «шатдауну», який почався в кінці минулого року, тривав 35 днів і став найтривалішим в історії США. До «шатдауну» призвела відмова конгресменів-демократів погодити фінансування стіни на кордоні з Мексикою.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!

Sitting in her living room, 65-year-old Tatyana Rybalchenko goes through a stack of black-and-white photos from more than 30 years ago. In one of them, she is dressed in a nurse’s coat and smiles sheepishly at the camera; in another, she shares a laugh with soldiers on a road with a mountain ridge behind them.

The pictures don’t show the hardships that Rybalchenko and 20,000 Soviet women like her went through as civilian support staff during the Soviet Union’s 1979-1989 invasion of Afghanistan. Although they did not serve in combat roles, they still experienced the horrors of war.

As Russia on Friday marked the 30th anniversary of the withdrawal of Soviet troops from Afghanistan, the memories are still fresh for the nurses, clerks and shopkeepers, predominantly young, single women who were thrust into the bloody conflict.

Rybalchenko enlisted on a whim. In 1986, she was 33, working in a dead-end nursing job in Kyiv, the capital of Soviet Ukraine, and was going through a breakup. One day, she joined a colleague who went to a military recruitment office. The recruiter turned to Rybalchenko and asked if she would like to work abroad — in Afghanistan.

She recalls that she was fed up with her life in Kyiv, “so I told him: ‘I’d go anywhere, even to hell!’ And this is where he sent me.”

Family and friends tried to talk her out of it, telling her that Afghanistan is where “the bodies are coming from.” But it was too late: She had signed the contract.

At least 15,000 Soviet troops were killed in the fighting that began as an effort to prop up a communist ally and soon became a grinding campaign against a U.S.-backed insurgency. Moscow sent more than 600,000 to a war that traumatized many young men and women and fed a popular discontent that became one factor leading to the 1991 breakup of the Soviet Union.

Rybalchenko, who worked as a nurse at a military hospital in Gardez, was stunned by the many casualties — men missing limbs or riddled with shrapnel. But there was so much work that she found herself shutting off her emotions.

“At the end, I did not feel anything anymore. I was like a stone,” Rybalchenko said, shedding her normally perky persona.

Friendships helped, and she befriended a young reconnaissance officer, Vladimir Vshivtsev.

He once confided to her that he was not afraid of losing a limb, but he would not be able to live with an injury to his eyes. She recalled him saying “if I lose eyesight, I’ll do everything to put an end to it.”

In November 1987, the hospital was inundated with casualties from a Soviet offensive to open the road between Gardez and the stronghold of Khost, near the Pakistani border.

One of the wounded was Vshivtsev, and Rybalchenko saw him being wheeled into the ward with bandages wrapped around his head. She unwrapped the dressing and gasped when she saw the gaping wound on his face: “The eyes were not there.”

She persuaded her superior to let her accompany him to a bigger hospital in Kabul as part of a suicide watch. She stayed friends with Vshivtsev, and he later became a leading activist in the Russian Society for the Blind. Decades later, he briefly served in the Russian parliament.

Raising awareness

Alla Smolina was 30 when she joined the Soviet military prosecutor’s office in Jalalabad near the Pakistani border in 1985. It wasn’t until 20 years later that Smolina started having nightmares about the war.

“The shelling, running away from bullets and mines whizzing above me — I was literally scared of my own pillow,” she said.

She put her memories on paper and contacted other women who were there, telling the stories of those who endured the hardships of war but who are largely absent from the male-dominated narratives.

She is trying to raise awareness of the role the Soviet women played in Afghanistan, believing they have been unfairly portrayed or not even mentioned in fiction and nonfiction written mostly by men.

The deaths of Soviet women who held civilian jobs in Afghanistan are not part of the official toll, and Smolina has written about 56 women who lost their lives. Some died when a plane was shot down by the Afghan mujahedeen, one was killed when a drunken soldier threw a grenade into her room, and one woman was slain after being raped by a soldier.

In an era when the concept of sexual harassment was largely unfamiliar in the Soviet Union, the women in the war in Afghanistan — usually young and unmarried — often started a relationship to avoid unwanted attention from other soldiers.

“Because if a woman has someone, the whole brigade won’t harass you like a pack of wolves,” Rybalchenko said. “Sometimes it was reciprocal, sometimes there was no choice.”

She said she found boyfriends to “protect” her.

Denied war benefits

While the war grew unpopular at home, Soviet troops and support staff in Afghanistan mostly focused on survival rather than politics. While Afghans largely saw Moscow’s involvement as a hostile foreign intervention, the Soviets thought they were doing the right thing.

“We really believed that we were helping the oppressed Afghan nation, especially because we saw with our own eyes all the kindergartens and schools that the Soviet people were building there,” Smolina said.

After Rybalchenko came home, she could hardly get out of bed for the first three months, one of thousands with undiagnosed post-traumatic stress disorder.

When she asked officials about benefits for veterans and other personnel in Afghanistan, she faced hostility and insults. She said one told her: “How do I know what you were actually up to over there?”

In 2006, Russian lawmakers decided that civilians who worked in Afghanistan were not entitled to war benefits. Women have campaigned unsuccessfully to reinstate them.

Rybalchenko eventually got an apartment from the government, worked in physiotherapy and now lives in retirement in Moscow, where her passion for interior decorating is reflected by the exotic bamboo-forest wallpaper in her home.

Smolina, who lives in Sweden, is wary of disclosing all the details about her own Afghan experiences after facing a backlash from other veterans about her publications.

“Our society is not ready yet to hear the truth. There is still a lingering effect from the harsh Soviet past,” she said. “In Soviet society, you were not supposed to speak out.”

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!

Президент Білорусі Олександр Лукашенко на третій день зустрічі з президентом Росії Володимиром Путіним заявив, що питання суверенітету є «святим», а ймовірність об’єднання двох країн залежить лише від волі їх громадян.

«Ми (з Володимиром Путіним – ред.) готові йти настільки далеко в єднанні, об’єднанні наших зусиль держав і народів, наскільки ви готові. Ми і завтра можемо об’єднатися вдвох. У нас проблем немає. Але чи готові ви (росіяни і білоруси) на це – питання. Тому це вам треба адресувати питання до себе. Наскільки ви готові, настільки ми і будемо виконувати вашу волю. А якщо не готові, якою б не була потужна і величезна Росія, вона сьогодні не в змозі нав’язати комусь волю. Тим паче, нам це і не потрібно», – заявив Лукашенко.

Білоруський президент заявив про спільне бачення проблем Мінськом і Москвою.

«Якщо взяти Україну, теж слов’янська держава, але який величезний розрив за кілька років утворився. А ми (Білорусь і Росія – ред.) розмовляємо однією мовою і розуміємо однаково проблеми», – сказав Лукашенко.

Нинішня зустріч Лукашенка з Путіним – сьома за півроку, востаннє президенти Білорусі і Росії зустрічалися в грудні минулого року у Кремлі.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!

Жоден з трьох найбільших кабельних операторів Білорусі не включив у свої пакети український телеканал UATV, який наприкінці січня отримав дозвіл на мовлення в Білорусі. Як повідомив Радіо Свобода директор компанії «Навігатор ТВ», яка є офіційним дистриб’ютором UATV в Білорусі Вадим Тихонович, поки в Білорусі український телеканал включили для поширення три мінські оператори-кабельники – це УП «СЕТ», ЗАТ «Ефір» і «Німфадора».

За словами Тихоновича, наразі підписані 14 угод з операторами. Крім трьох згаданих, решта – 11 операторів – переважно з сусідніх із Україною Брестської і Гомельської областей Білорусі.

Тихонович каже: інтерес до UATV великий, але «все залежить від керівника кабельного оператора». За його словами, «у багатьох з них проросійська позиція».

«Канали бувають дорогі, такі як Discovery чи «НТВ плюс». Український же фактично безкоштовний. Тобто з економічної точки зору оператору вигідно його включити», – зазначив Тихонович.

Керівництво України та Білорусі погоджувало мовлення українського державного телеканалу в Білорусі з 2014 року.

UATV – український телеканал іномовлення, що веде ефіри українською, російською, кримськотатарською, англійською та арабською мовами. У січні Мінінформполітики Білорусі підписало наказ, який дозволив телеканалу поширення на території Білорусі. Кожен з операторів повинен повідомити Міністерство інформації Білорусі про своє бажання включити канал UATV для поширення і отримати відповідну відповідь.

Всього в Білорусі діє майже півтори сотні кабельних телеоператорів, які обслуговують 3,5 мільйона абонентів. Лідерами ринку є три компанії: МТІС (Мінські телевізійні інформаційні мережі), «Велком» (Voka) і «Космос Телеком».

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!

Європейський союз продовжить ембарго на постачання зброї Білорусі, повідомили Радіо Свобода кілька джерел, знайомих із процесом перемовин.

Угорщина спочатку погрожувала не підтримати ембарго й вимагала швидко ухвалити Пріоритети партнерства з Білоруссю. Цей документ ЄС визначає майбутні відносини блоку з Мінськом у таких сферах, як контакти між людьми, екологічні питання, економічне співробітництво та права людини. Переговори з приводу цього документа тривають протягом двох років.

Цей документ міг бути підписаним у 2018 році, але Литва наполягала включити туди кілька гарантій, пов’язаних із будівництвом атомної електростанції в Островці, яка створюється в Білорусі за підтримки Росії в 50 кілометрах від столиці Литви Вільнюса.

Під тиском інших 27 членів Європейського союзу Будапешт відступив.

Ембарго на постачання зброї офіційно мають продовжити наступного тижня. Крім того, мають бути продовжені санкції – заборони на в’їзд та заморожені активи – стосовно чотирьох людей, які, як вважається, відіграли ключову роль у зникненні чотирьох білорусів у 1999 та 2000 роках.

ЄС ввів ембарго на постачання зброї і санкції проти чотирьох білоруських компаній і 174 осіб, зокрема і президента Олександра Лукашенка, після силового придушення акцій протесту після президентських виборів у грудні 2010 року.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!

British investigators have identified a Russian military intelligence officer as a third suspect in the poisoning of former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal, two European security sources told Reuters.

The sources confirmed a report by the investigative website Bellingcat, which Thursday identified Denis Sergeev, a high-ranking GRU officer and a graduate of Russia’s Military Diplomatic Academy, as the suspect.

Skripal, a former officer in Russian military intelligence who betrayed dozens of spies to MI6, and his daughter Yulia, were found slumped unconscious on a bench in the southern city of Salisbury in March 2018 after being poisoned with the Novichok military-grade nerve agent. Both later recovered.

Last September, British prosecutors charged two Russians, known by the aliases Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov, with attempted murder in their absence. Russia has denied any involvement in the poisoning.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!